source: Republic of Botswana (20/6/10) TAUTONA TIMES no 8 of 2010
The Electronic Press Circular of the Office of the President
"Democracy, Development, Dignity, Discipline and Delivery"
C3) 15/6/10: Communiqué of the Tripartite Commission on the Repatriation of Namibian Refugees Meeting in Botswana
1 The Tripartite Commission on the Repatriation of Namibian Refugees in Botswana met in Francistown, Botswana from the 9th - 10th June 2010.
2. The delegation of Botswana was led by Mr Augustine N. Makgonatsotlhe, Secretary of Defence, Justice and Security and included H.E Duke Lefhoko, Botswana High Commissioner to Namibia and Senior Government Officials.
3. The delegation of Namibia was led by Mr Nkrumah Mushelenga, Commissioner of Refugees and included H.E Hadino T. Hishongwa Namibian`s High Commissioner to Botswana, the Governor of the Caprivi, Hon. Leonard Mwilima and Senior Government officials.
4. UNHCR was represented by Mr Shana Kaninda, Chief of Mission in Botswana and Mr Lawrence Mgbangson, UNHCR Representative in Namibia.
5. The Commission held discussions on matters of mutual concern relating to finding durable solutions to Namibian refugees in Botswana.
6. The Commission reviewed progress on the resolutions reached at the last meeting in July, 2009 in Windhoek, Namibia and urged members to attend to pending issues as a matter of urgency.
7. The Commission considered voluntary repatriation as a preferred option to providing durable solution to the Refugee problem in Botswana. In that regard, the Commission resolved to undertake a "Go-and-See" mission to Namibia to help refugees make an informed decision on their repatriation prospects.
8. The meeting took place in a cordial and constructive atmosphere characteristic of the parties to the Commission.
9. The next meeting of the Commission will be held in May 2011 in Namibia at a venue to be determined.