Thursday, September 3, 2009

Press Statement by His Honour the Vice President Mompati Sebogodi Merafhe [edited]

source: Republic of Botswana (23/8/09): TAUTONA TIMES no 23 of 2009
The Electronic Press Circular of the Office of the President
"Democracy, Development, Dignity and Discipline"

C4) 27/8/09: PRESS STATEMENT BY HIS HONOUR THE VICE PRESIDENT MOMPATI SEBOGODI MERAFHE [Edited]

The Echo newspaper of 27 August 2009 carried a headline titled "Merafhe Faces P3m Adultery Suit". At page 3 of the said edition, the newspaper published an article bearing the same headline. The article is purportedly based on a lawsuit instituted against me by one Mr. "B".

I would not ordinarily comment on matters pending before our Courts, but given the seriousness of the allegations made against me and the innuendos drawn in the said article, I believe it is imperative that I respond to the article and set the record straight.

The lawsuit instituted by "B" is fiercely opposed by myself as it is devoid of substance and merit. The incident which purportedly forms the basis of the suit did not happen as suggested by the Plaintiff.

This case is nothing short of an attempt to create a scandal and to vilify me in the eyes of the public and my family. Given that B is a well known activist of one of the opposition parties and is represented by a well known opposition lawyer, it is clear that the proceedings are aimed at causing maximum political embarrassment to myself, my family and the BDP during the time leading to national elections.

The claim is nothing but a bogus claim which I am certain will fail in Court once evidence is led, including that of Miss R's family members showing members, showing it for what it is.

It is unfortunate that the Echo newspaper has sought to give credence to such fictitious claim under the guise of reporting legal proceedings and I accordingly reserve my right to institute appropriate action against the said newspaper and any other newspaper that may publish similar defamatory articles.

No comments: