Sunday, May 10, 2009

Dr.Ramsay,Coordinator,Botswana Government Communication and Information System delivered @ MISA-Botswana panel discussion on Media Practitioner`s Act

source: Republic of Botswana (9/5/09): TAUTONA TIMES no 13 of 2009
The Weekly Electronic Press Circular of the Office of the President
"Democracy, Development, Dignity and Discipline"

C6) 7/5/09: Statement by Dr. Jeff Ramsay, Coordinator, Botswana Government Communication and Information System delivered @ MISA-Botswana panel discussion on Media Practitioner’s Act:

Last month I willingly accepted an invitation from MISA-Botswana to participate in this panel. I did so in the context of Government’s continued willingness to openly engage with stakeholders and the general public on issues surrounding the Media Practitioners Act, as passed by Parliament last year.

It has, however, come to my attention that a legal notice relevant to tonight’s panel topic was received by the Attorney General Chambers yesterday, which was moreover authored by tonight’s moderator.

Given these facts, as well as additional information that has also come to my attention over the last 24 hours, I have come to the inescapable conclusion that it would be inappropriate for me to take any further active part in these proceedings. I thank you.

No comments: