source: Republic of Botswana (27/4/09) TAUTONA TIMES no 12 of 2009
The Weekly Electronic Press Circular of the Office of the President
"Democracy, Development, Dignity and Discipline"
C2) 25/4/09: JOINT COMMUNIQUE OF THE STATE VISIT BY HIS EXCELLENCY MR. JAKAYA MRISHO KIKWETE TO BOTSWANA
Joint Communiqué issued at the end of the state visit by His Excellency Mr. Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete, President of the United Republic of Tanzania, to the Republic of Botswana, from the 23rd to the 25th April 2009
1. At the invitation of His Excellency Lt Gen. Seretse Khama Ian Khama, President of the Republic of Botswana, His Excellency Mr. Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete, President of the United Republic of Tanzania paid a three day State Visit to the Republic of Botswana.
2. His Excellency President Kikwete was accompanied by some Cabinet Ministers, Members of Parliament, and Senior Government Officials.
3. On arrival at the Sir Seretse Khama International Airport, His Excellency Mr. Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete was met by his host His Excellency Lt. Gen. Seretse Khama Ian Khama, Cabinet Ministers and other Senior Government Officials.
4. The two Presidents held official talks in which they exchanged views on bilateral and continental issues of mutual interest.
5. On bilateral issues, the two Presidents expressed satisfaction at the cordial and fraternal relations that exist between the two countries and stressed the need to further strengthen them. They underscored the need to resuscitate the implementation of the Joint Permanent Commission for Cooperation that was signed between the two countries in 2002. They further underlined the necessity to translate the relations into programmes which have tangible social, economic and commercial benefits for the improvement of the living standards of the citizens of both countries.
6. On regional issues the two Presidents committed to continue working together to address matters of common concern on the African continent and at the international level. They expressed satisfaction at the progress achieved in Zimbabwe since the signing on the 15 September 2008 of the Global Political Agreement. They welcomed the decision of the SADC Extraordinary Summit held in Mbabane, Swaziland to assist Zimbabwe to revive its economy. In this regard, they urged the international community to provide financial assistance to the Government of Zimbabwe.
7. The two Presidents expressed regret at the political situation in Madagascar. They condemned the unconstitutional change of Government that took place in that country on 17 March 2009. They committed to continue applying pressure on Mr. Andry Rajoelina through SADC and the AU to return Madagascar to democratic rule.
8. During the visit, His Excellency President Kikwete visited the National Assembly where he held discussions with the Speaker of the National Assembly, Honourable Patrick Balopi. The Leader of the Botswana Opposition, Mr Otsweletse Moupo paid a courtesy call on the President.
9. On 24th April 2009, His Excellency President Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete officially opened the Letsholathebe Referral Hospital in Maun.
10. On 25 April 2009 His Excellency President Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete attended the Botswana Defence Force Air Show in Gaborone, as part of the 32nd Anniversary Celebrations of the Botswana Defence Force.
11. At the end of his visit, His Excellency President Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete expressed gratitude to His Excellency President Lt Gen. Seretse Khama Ian Khama and the People of the Republic of Botswana for the warm hospitality accorded to him and his delegation during his visit.
Friday, May 1, 2009
Joint Communique of the State Visit by His Excellency Mr. Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete to Botswana
Posted by Pula at 11:55 PM